Healthy Skin Smoothie Recipe - Quality for Life
You are what you eat
We all experience moments when we look into the mirror and see a reflection of skin that isn’t as bright and glowing as we hope. They say “you are what you eat” and we feel strongly that “you are the nutrients you consume.” The health of your skin depends on the right mix of vitamins and nutrients – just as other parts of your body function optimally when fed the right nutrients.
We enlisted the help of registered dietitian – Amy Fischer, RD (@thegreenfisch) – to develop a recipe to help your skin look and feel its best. Introducing the new Glowing Smoothie recipe, which features foods packed with key vitamins for skin health – vitamins A, C and K.
Key ingredients in the recipe, include:
- Coconut water is full of vitamins and minerals and it is a great way to hydrate from the inside out. Without adequate hydration your skin can become dry and flaky.
- Spinach is loaded with antioxidants and is a great source of iron as well as folate, chlorophyll, vitamin K, magnesium, vitamin A and vitamin C. Vitamin A is important for skin health while vitamin C contributes to normal collagen production and vitamin K is important for bone health. Three cups of spinach in this smoothie contain almost 100 percent of the RDA for iron for women younger than 50.
- Avocado contains healthy (poly and monounsaturated fatty acids) fats, which help to nourish the hair, skin and nails.
- Oranges are an excellent source of vitamin C with one orange containing approximately 93 percent RDI. The vitamin C in oranges helps to promote iron absorption and collagen production, which are important for skin health – giving you a glow from inside out. In addition, oranges are a great source of fiber.
- Bananas are packed with potassium, contributing to normal muscle function. They also contain B vitamins and act as a prebiotic, helping digestion by supporting healthy gut bacteria production.
- Ginger is traditionally used for its potential role in digestive health and for its anti-oxidant properties.
If you don’t feel that you’re getting optimal levels of these nutrients on a daily basis, you should speak with your health care practitioner about adding a daily multi-vitamin supplement.
Equipment: High-speed blender
Servings: 1 (16fl oz)
1 cup coconut water
3 cups spinach
1 large orange peeled and quartered
2 medjool dates (soaked in hot water & pitted)
½ tsp grated fresh ginger
¼ tsp cinnamon
Topping (optional): unsweetened shredded coconut flakes
Directions: Add all ingredients to a high-speed blender, blend and serve.
Personalized nutrition takes holistic health and wellness to an entirely new level. While many companies are starting to offer personalized nutrition programs, there is one in particular that is reinventing how consumers take their daily vitamins – Mixfit.
These five foods can tweak your brain chemistry and help you stay happy, energized and even calm.
In 2017, DSM received two A ratings for climate change and water. There were only 25 companies worldwide that achieved a double A-rating. Learn more about DSM’s sustainability efforts.
Food manufacturers are now required to list vitamin D content on their labels. So now you can see how much you're getting from your food. And it probably isn't enough. Learn more from the Cleveland Clinic’s Dr. Michael Roizen.
Research continues to demonstrate that the gut microbiome can impact digestive function, immune function and even mood. Read more to learn how you can optimize your digestive tract.
Vitamin deficiencies may be more prevalent in the U.S. than you may have thought. New research suggests nearly a third of U.S. adults may be at risk of deficiency for at least one vitamin.
Registered dietitian and accomplished author Elizabeth Somer shares how to protect your eyes from the sun and during screen time.
When it comes to selecting the top nutrients for brain health, there are 5 that you don’t want to forget.
Translating brand logos and taglines into meaning and value can be overwhelming. That’s why we created the Quality for Life principles that guide our Quali® brand-nutrients.